26 January 2010

Stop feeding the poor already! A Republican apologises — sort of

Republican Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer made the news last week for uttering unfathomable words: "At a town hall meeting Thursday in northwestern South Carolina, Bauer noted his grandmother "told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed."


That quote taken from the Boston Herald is nothing compared to the full audio.





Bauer took two days to apologise and his effort shows his reticence:

“I never saw it coming, but it is what it is,” he said. “Clearly I was taken out of context. Nobody in that meeting or any other meeting where I’ve said that before had any problem with it. In fact, I had a black minister at that meeting and he came up to me afterwards and asked if I could come speak to his congregation.”

For our Canadian readers: do go to Jon Stewart's Daily Show clip for a virtuoso critique of south carolina politics and news of the last year. The clip also includes a fuller audio of Andre Bauer going on and on about those poor people who insist on having children. So stop feeding them already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors

Blog Archive